» obsessed: hunger games «
For the past week I’ve been OBSESSED with the Hunger Games. Stuff on the order of:
Michael: What’s that a picture of? [gesturing to the lock screen wallpaper on my iPhone]
I read all 3 books this past week and saw the movie right after reading book one. The movie was alright. I think I’ll like it more when I see it again sometime - after having read all the books and putting some distance between them and the film. The actors are great but condensing a long book into 2.5 hrs can be tricky. You lose a lot of the subtlety. The books, however, I love, love, loved. They were so good. I especially love Peeta (obvs) - I think Catching Fire was my favorite in the series. If you haven’t read the series (and like that kind of thing), you should totally check them out. I got the first book at Target for $7 and then bought the others for about the same price from the Amazon Kindle Store.
Anyway, I can’t stop thinking about them (I finished Mockingjay on Saturday in the bleachers at tennis—crying while kids below worked on their backhands). I finished the third book and briefly considered immediately starting them over again. You know I’m really gone on something when I start looking up fan videos and merchandise—listening to scores and changing the backgrounds on all of my devices [insert admission to owning MANY Buffy the Vampire Slayer action figures].
Here’s some stuff I’ve come across that might interest you if you’re a fan of the Hunger Games…
Fan art: God, this is, like, my internet in 2002 and being obsessed with Buffy. Someday, I’m going to find some of my old work like this and post it—I really didn’t think people did this anymore. It almost makes me want to start my own Tumblr of crap like this - my fandom needs an outlet! Right now I just have a Pinterest board called star#$%*ing and it doesn’t seem like enough. Anyway, I pinned a couple of HG graphics that I really liked on my General Miscellaneous board—here are some sites that I pulled them from (although I’m sure there are millions of sites just like these):
Crafts: I bet there’s tons and tons of HG crafts out there. This embroidered map is my favorite that I’ve found. I also love anything having to do with the districts - these blankets/knit panels are cool. This diy patch looks like something rebels would attach to their gear. Lastly, the shoes about 1/2 way down this post are incredible (the two images right after Here are some other Hunger Games inspired shoes that were hand crafted, all way better than mine!).
Posters: Here are a few posters/prints I really like…
- Screenprinted Mockingjay by Goodnightkittens Design on Etsy
- Happy Hunger Games print and Rue’s song and Parachute print, all by Entropy Trading Company on Etsy
- Mockingjay poster by Purple Cow Posters on Etsy
- Re-designed book cover print by Jared Fancy on Etsy—I especially like this b/c it uses the theme of the book and not the literal imagery
Videos: I didn’t find a ton of fan videos that I loved. I guess it’s hard when the movie isn’t even out of theaters, yet. Also, so much of the story is from the 2nd and 3rd books and those haven’t even been filmed. What’s cool, though, is that doesn’t stop people from telling the stories they want to tell. This video is about the first half of Catching Fire. The maker does such a good job of making scenes look real that are actually spliced together. I also enjoyed this video with the song “The Hanging Tree.” There’s a bunch of Katniss/Peeta videos but none that really stuck out from the pack.
- Josh Hutcherson rocking out (found via Busy Bee Lauren)
- Some awesome maps of Panem (I love stuff like this) - here’s another great map
- Hunger Games someecards
- Capitol Couture: a Capitol fashion blog (I love stuff that, instead of being ABOUT a world, creates some fake part of that world - I’d love to see more stuff like this if anyone knows of any)
- Some party printables (I thought I’d find a lot of these but didn’t - there are some good ones for purchase on Etsy, though - these are my two favorites: party package or Arena DIY printable party)
- Cross stitch patterns
- Hunger Games inspired wedding shoot (I saw others but this one was far superior) - this kind of inspired me to think about doing my own shoot; today we were out walking in the Forest Preserve, around the Skokie Lagoons, and I thought it was a pretty ideal location
If anyone comes across (or makes) any other good HG stuff I’d love to see it. I’d also, embarrassingly, be into some good fanfic. It can be hard to come by - good writers who care about building on other’s work. I’ve read a bunch of Pacey-Joey fanfic and Ron-Hermione stuff. I once wrote a short My So-Called Life piece…I think it’s lost to the gods of outdated computer software, though. We’ll see, maybe some day I’ll find it. For now, may the odds be ever in your favor.
[image credit: Parent Grapevine]