» daydreaming: alt summit «
Holy crap - I can’t believe Alt. is already next week. It makes me nervous even to THINK about it. I’ve never done anything like this and am, obviously, just starting this blog. I was motivated to sign up for the conference by the fact that a friend of mine, Sarah, is on one of the panels. She said I’d probably get even MORE out of the conference because I’m so new to blogging (I blogged in college but it was more like a journal - I’ll have to post some of my old layouts some time - they are hilarious).
So, I’m off to Salt Lake City on Wednesday. Here are a few things I’m REALLY looking forward to…
- Hanging out with Sarah: She is so fun and funny - I know her through a friend from graduate school. She is a children’s/lifestyle photographer based in San Francisco, running her own business called Modern Kids Photography. She’s there to speak on a panel about blogging ethics.
- Seeing and meeting famous bloggers and designers: I cannot wait to sit on panels and mingle with some of my favorite bloggers. I probably won’t attend her panel because it’s about interior design blogging, but I hope to get a chance to tell Emily Henderson what a fan I am. She is so so talented. I could list almost every speaker as someone I want to meet, but Meg and Melanie are really high on that long list.
- Thursday’s Winter Wonderland party: I’m super nervous about having to find a decent white outfit (my current contender is this weird vintage dress I have), but it’ll be fun to see how everyone interprets the theme. Pictured above is what I’d wear if I was rail thin (it’s from Mango’s Spring lookbook).
- Friday Night’s Mini Parties: Friday night you get to party-hop, moving from suite to suite. I’m especially excited about The Girls with Glasses’ Parisian themed party (mostly because I just have a giant crush on both Summer and Brooke).
- Design camps on Saturday: I really wanted to get take a photography class but they were all booked (I need to learn how to take good photos for this blog). However, I AM taking a calligraphy class, which I’ve been dying to do for ages and I can’t imagine a cooler opportunity than learning from Melissa (who is such a cool calligrapher).
There are a few things I’m nervous about, though, besides having to find a white outfit. I was hoping to have hearing aides by the time of the conference, but I didn’t realize what a long process it would be. I need to email the coordinators to see if there’s anything to be done about it (apparently sometimes the audio in a conference room is looped (?) and you can tap into that with a device…or something). AND I don’t have business cards. I’m just going to make them on my home computer. I hope they are not too janky. I’ve just been so busy!
Anyway, I’m jazzed to travel across the country, to learn a lot and make new friends (I’m especially on the look-out for the Chicagoans in attendance).
See you all soon!
[image credits: Salt Lake City - SLC Bankruptcy Center (couldn’t find a more authentic source); white outfit - The Budget Babe; calligraphy from Alt. 2011 - Oh, Hello Friend (thanks for letting me use, Danni!); Eiffel Tower image - part of a stamp set from Artemio that you can buy here, found via Butterfly in the Blossom Tree; Girls with Glasses - Srsly, Liz; Sarah’s headshot - taken by Sarah; Emily’s headshot - Emily Henderson (dunno who took it); glitter - Wikipedia]